Earlier this evening, while I was taking a nap, the New York state senate passed legislation to make same sex marriage legal in the state, and it was signed into law by governor Andrew Cuomo. Seen above, the Empire State Building was lit up in rainbow colors in celebration.
Senate approval was the final hurdle for the legislation, which was strongly supported by Mr. Cuomo. The Assembly approved changes made by the Senate, after passing an earlier version last week. Mr. Cuomo signed the measure late Friday, and the law will go into effect in 30 days, meaning that same-sex couples could begin marrying in New York by midsummer. “I am very proud of New York and the statement we made to the nation today,” Mr. Cuomo said.
The bill’s passage followed a daunting run of defeats in other states where voters barred same-sex marriage by legislative action, constitutional amendment or referendum. Just five states — Connecticut, Iowa, Massachusetts, New Hampshire and Vermont — permit same-sex marriage. It is also legal in : the District of Columbia.
- danniface likes this
- michellebetween likes this
- spidermartini likes this
- lostdoughnut likes this
- prettysortofmarvellous likes this
- alltheprettystardust reblogged this from abornagainmonstersdaughter
- abornagainmonstersdaughter reblogged this from iheartchaos and added:
- citycountrysuburbia likes this
- wasteawaywithmeeee likes this
- agentfenris reblogged this from iheartchaos and added:
- msflamingo likes this
- ryeisenberg likes this
- covare likes this
- designer-lover likes this
- maryepifania likes this
- diamondfarah likes this
- riseofthegoat reblogged this from iheartchaos
- riseofthegoat likes this
- ordinaryomar likes this
- sweatergeek likes this
- iheartchaos posted this