Margaret Thatcher, a towering, divisive and yet revered figure who left an enduring impact on British politics, died on Monday of a stroke, her family said.
“It is with great sadness that Mark and Carol Thatcher announced that their mother Baroness Thatcher died peacefully following a stroke this morning,” a statement from her spokesman, Lord Tim Bell, said.
Lady Thatcher had been in poor health for months. She served as prime minister for 11 years, beginning in 1979. She was known variously as the ‘Iron Lady,’ a stern Conservative who transformed Britain’s way of thinking about its economic and political life, broke union power and opened the way to far greater private ownership.
She was leader of Britain through its 1982 war in the Falklands and stamped her skepticism about European integration onto her country’s political landscape for decades.
- dragon-storm likes this
- anideaday reblogged this from iheartchaos
- flagg0t likes this
- queen-wienerlooks reblogged this from iheartchaos
- heather-noelle88 likes this
- toomanykitties reblogged this from iheartchaos
- introvertedjerk likes this
- yaw-momo reblogged this from theblackeyedsquint
- theblackeyedsquint reblogged this from iheartchaos
- therealmakingchaos reblogged this from iheartchaos and added:
- evilmustbebakedat650degrees likes this
- passionate-pumpkin reblogged this from iheartchaos
- iheartchaos posted this