Everyone knew that Apple would be announcing the iPad mini today, but it was the real computer side of things that was most exciting. Specifically, the insanely thin new iMac, which suddenly makes any other desktop computer look like some 1970s monster box.
First up of course, was the iPad mini, which has a 7.9” screen, a 1024x768 resolution, a thin profile and aluminum back and the new Lightning dock connector. Apple compared the iPad mini directly to the Nexus 7 and Kindle Fire, saying that it’s lighter and thinner with 30% more screen. It is more expensive than either, starting at $329.
Also announced was a brand new 13” MacBook Pro, with retina display and a slimmer body. Closed, the new MacBook Pro is only 0.75” thick due to its lack of an optical drive.
Aaand then my favorite, the new iMac. They combined an SSD drive and a magnetic hard drive into one volume, made everything smaller, got rid of the optical drive so they could deliver an all-in-one desktop computer that’s an astonishing 5mm thick at the edges, and they use a shallow back curve to make the whole thing look impossibly skinny. When you see it from the side, it’s 40% thinner than the current iMac, but from almost any other angle, it looks like just a sheet of glass on a stand.
And the SSD/HD thing, Apple is calling a “Fusion Drive”. It uses SSD for the OS, to make it super quick to boot up and incredibly responsive, while using a normal HD for files, with the whole thing sewn together with software.
- jasmineisaflower reblogged this from iheartchaos
- onthepathofnoreturn likes this
- kristinmargaret reblogged this from iheartchaos and added:
- wildheartsdangerousminds likes this
- michellebetween likes this
- ovooxotillweoverdose likes this
- carranco reblogged this from iheartchaos
- geekcavepodcast reblogged this from iheartchaos and added:
- artemissian likes this
- dictaylorswift reblogged this from iheartchaos
- iheartchaos posted this