The science and technology of dentistry is advancing quickly, and a new development could one day replace tooth enamel for stronger, healthier teeth.
The “tooth patch” is a hard-wearing and ultra-flexible material made from hydroxyapatite, the main mineral in tooth enamel, that could also mean an end to sensitive teeth.
“This is the world’s first flexible apatite sheet, which we hope to use to protect teeth or repair damaged enamel,” said Shigeki Hontsu, professor at Kinki University’s Faculty of Biology-Oriented Science and Technology in western Japan.
“Dentists used to think an all-apatite sheet was just a dream, but we are aiming to create artificial enamel,” the outermost layer of a tooth, he said earlier this month. Researchers can create film just 0.004 millimetres (0.00016 inches) thick by firing lasers at compressed blocks of hydroxyapatite in a vacuum to make individual particles pop out. These particles fall onto a block of salt which is heated to crystallise them, before the salt stand is dissolved in water. The film is scooped up onto filter paper and dried, after which it is robust enough to be picked up by a pair of tweezers.
“The moment you put it on a tooth surface, it becomes invisible. You can barely see it if you examine it under a light,” Hontsu told AFP by telephone.
The sheet has a number of minute holes that allow liquid and air to escape from underneath to prevent their forming bubbles when it is applied onto a tooth. One problem is that it takes almost one day for the film to adhere firmly to the tooth’s surface, said Hontsu. The film is currently transparent but it is possible to make it white for use in cosmetic dentistry.
Researchers are experimenting on disused human teeth at the moment but the team will soon move to tests with animals, Hontsu said, adding he was also trying it on his own teeth. Five years or more would be needed before the film could be used in practical dental treatment such as covering exposed dentin—the sensitive layer underneath enamel—but it could be used cosmetically within three years, Hontsu said.
- euneirophrenia26 likes this
- heymzbrain likes this
- bouncing-bettydoll likes this
- phobius-nerd reblogged this from iheartchaos
- grumpimus-prime reblogged this from iheartchaos
- warlockforhire likes this
- princessdemoness likes this
- kurei0 reblogged this from iheartchaos
- appropriately-named-blog likes this
- burlyburr likes this
- crispigomez likes this
- thatcaranoguy likes this
- mayasownmenagerie reblogged this from ifuckalotofboys
- chiquorinha likes this
- guthwineandcheese reblogged this from iheartchaos
- ifuckalotofboys reblogged this from readinglist32
- readinglist32 reblogged this from iheartchaos
- readinglist32 likes this
- bloodtea-redstring likes this
- g33kgasm reblogged this from iheartchaos
- g33kgasm likes this
- sakilla likes this
- beansidhe reblogged this from iheartchaos and added:
- beansidhe likes this
- vexenort likes this
- hellyeahvan reblogged this from iheartchaos
- c0m1c4l-ch4o5 likes this
- madhavpatel likes this
- tumblrsteakx10 likes this
- everythinginebb likes this
- rowrosaurus reblogged this from iheartchaos
- vincentkessinger likes this
- adistinguishedvillain reblogged this from iheartchaos
- adistinguishedvillain likes this
- houseoflaurenduarte likes this
- hastygetaway likes this
- iheartchaos posted this