Right now, a newly discovered comet named Lovejoy is just a faint light in the the constellation Cancer. But astronomers predict that by the end of 2013 and into the beginning of 2014, as Lovejoy comes a bit closer and becomes visible to the naked eye, there could be a point where it’s a brighter point in the sky than the moon.
The comet is already remarkably bright, given how far it is from the sun, astronomer Raminder Singh Samra said. What’s more, 2012 S1 seems to be following the path of the Great Comet of 1680, considered one of the most spectacular ever seen from Earth.
“If it lives up to expectations, this comet may be one of the brightest in history,” said Samra, of the H.R. MacMillan Space Centre in Vancouver, Canada.
So what makes a comet a showstopper? A lot depends on how much gas and dust is blasted off the central core of ice and rocks. The bigger the resulting cloud and tail, the more reflective the body may be.
Because 2012 S1 appears to be fairly large—possibly approaching two miles (three kilometers) wide—and will fly very close to the sun, astronomers have calculated that the comet may shine brighter, though not bigger, than the full moon in the evening sky.
First spotted late last week by Russian astronomers Artyom Novichonok and Vitali Nevski of the International Scientific Optical Network (ISON), comet 2012 S1 was confirmed by the International Astronomical Union on Monday.
But while we know what 2012 S1 is, it’s still unclear where it came from. Its orbit suggests the comet may be a runaway from the Oort cloud, where billions of comets orbit about a hundred thousand times farther from the sun than Earth is.
“For astronomers, these distant origins are exciting,” Samra said, “because it allows us to study one of the oldest objects in the solar system still in its original, pristine condition.”
- slavcutieghoul likes this
- asterillusion reblogged this from iheartchaos
- spaaace-cadet likes this
- lo-vedove likes this
- dantebellarix reblogged this from vikingbitch
- treatsandthreads reblogged this from iheartchaos and added:
- kimberwolf likes this
- amemus reblogged this from drn007
- hauntinggraveyards likes this
- gloryandus likes this
- robesvipierre likes this
- totorolas reblogged this from bronzedragon
- tvcm likes this
- i-am-the-barrel-rider likes this
- waterburn likes this
- pumpkinfrost likes this
- captainsnippet reblogged this from bronzedragon
- maythavee likes this
- tangedolium reblogged this from bluefootedbooby and added:
- yetanotherramblingfangirl reblogged this from bluefootedbooby
- a-fugitiva reblogged this from c0raca0devidr0
- c0raca0devidr0 reblogged this from the--sea-god
- bluefootedbooby reblogged this from bronzedragon
- bluefootedbooby likes this
- c0raca0devidr0 likes this
- the--sea-god reblogged this from lovelovegood
- lovelovegood reblogged this from bronzedragon
- bronzedragon reblogged this from ghost-plot
- lifesamitch likes this
- treatsandthreads likes this
- adorabilia likes this
- bensoncat likes this
- nemo-in-slumberland reblogged this from drn007
- humanbeingcomplex reblogged this from iheartchaos
- santaarmitana likes this
- benamas likes this
- jiunniee likes this
- cybersenshi likes this
- sammieisawesome reblogged this from iheartchaos
- clefaerie reblogged this from edearii
- edearii reblogged this from iheartchaos
- nintendonut1 likes this
- prasm reblogged this from drn007
- drn007 reblogged this from bonerack
- renevannes likes this
- gwencognito reblogged this from frecklesxlace
- uraris reblogged this from alfoxus
- uraris likes this
- meeksmoniker reblogged this from iheartchaos