As a decree from the 9/11 Memorial Foundation, no politicians at all are going to be invited to speak at this year’s 9/11 Memorial event. What with it being a presidential election year, and what looks like what’s going to be a nasty one at that, the Foundation decided that political rhetoric and stumping over a graveyard isn’t what they want. Good for them.
The foundation that controls the 9/11 memorial told family members that this year the reading of victims’ names by relatives will be “the exclusive focus of the program,” according to a letter sent to families Wednesday and shared with The Associated Press.
It was the first indication that the reading of the names would continue to be part of the ceremony as the 11th anniversary approaches. Some family members had protested after New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg, the foundation’s chair, had said he wasn’t sure if the names should be read individually now that they are on display at the memorial at ground zero.
Construction of the museum planned to accompany the memorial has slowed amid financial and political disagreements between the powerful forces that control the space. The foundation is responsible for the memorial and museum, while the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey – jointly controlled by the governors of both states – owns the site.
Disagreements over the site have intensified in recent weeks, with some family members accusing New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo and New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie of betraying the dead, and others accusing Bloomberg and the foundation of blocking progress and allowing costs to spiral out of control. Many family members have expressed concern that the site is sliding back into political dysfunction.
Joe Daniels, president of the memorial foundation, said in a statement Wednesday: “The National September 11 Memorial is focused on honoring the victims and their families in a way free of politics, and this ensures that continues.”
This year, as in other years, the observance will be broken by six moments of silence, marking the moments in which each World Trade Center tower was hit and fell, and the times of the attacks on the Pentagon and on United Airlines Flight 93, which crashed near Shanksville, Pa.
Until now, Rudy Giuliani and George Pataki – the mayor of New York City and governor of New York at the time of the attacks – have always been called upon to speak at the ceremony, along with Bloomberg and the current governors of New York and New Jersey. President Barack Obama read a psalm at last year’s 10th anniversary ceremony, and other past speakers have included then-President George W. Bush, several U.S. senators and former Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice.
- pearlsandink likes this
- toomanykitties reblogged this from iheartchaos
- joycie-bannachek reblogged this from televandalist
- brcynic likes this
- andyroosef likes this
- 3gr3gious likes this
- colorvomitworld reblogged this from iheartchaos
- drockwood91 reblogged this from emtgeek
- basugasu-bakuhatsu likes this
- ypmm likes this
- alainnebriste reblogged this from freeskywarp
- woofdaddy likes this
- rauron likes this
- pugsplugshugsndrugs likes this
- lydiaolydia likes this
- trespasserswillbeeaten likes this
- mildlyimpressive likes this
- suchabadpenny likes this
- freeskywarp reblogged this from jay-sue
- whiskey-smiles likes this
- thedartbored reblogged this from jay-sue
- jay-sue reblogged this from gingerale938
- jay-sue likes this
- just-another-guy-in-ny reblogged this from polock26
- gingerale938 reblogged this from emtgeek
- polock26 reblogged this from emtgeek
- taken-by-a-marine likes this
- notpatastic likes this
- peashooter85 likes this
- girlyouknowitsdrew likes this
- coffeeisnecture likes this
- snatch-grab-tickle likes this
- its-a-pleasure-to-eat-you likes this
- themonicabird likes this
- shesgothighmorale likes this
- robbiethewabbit likes this
- teenage-rampage likes this
- ridiculuce reblogged this from televandalist
- istkriegest likes this
- sidewalkbeat reblogged this from iheartchaos
- hypnoplasmids likes this
- sean-p3 likes this
- fjordfish likes this
- mock-congler likes this
- final-descent reblogged this from iheartchaos
- clintronics likes this
- freexcitizen likes this
- ohheyitsjj likes this
- alexsonn likes this
- krowface reblogged this from iheartchaos