An artificial brain that Googlers built with 16,000 computer processors and a nifty algorithm has taught itself to recognize images of cats posted on the Internet.
The network is among the largest of its type ever built, thanks in part to falling costs and abundance of computers available for research.
The Googlers fed their artificial brain 10 million images that were randomly selected from YouTube videos. Given a chance to see a random slice of what we put on the Internet, the machine followed our lead and learned to find cats.
“We never told it during the training, ‘This is a cat,’” Google fellow Jeff Dean told the New York Times. “It basically invented the concept of cat.”
The results show that “it is possible to train a face detector without having to label images as containing a face or not,” the team notes in a paper on the research posted on arXiv.org and presented this week at a conference in Scotland.
As we build ever bigger and more sophisticated artificial brains, they could help improve image search, speech recognition and machine language translation – services that Google provides.
- frecklesxlace reblogged this from vikingbitch
- colorvomitworld reblogged this from iheartchaos
- invisible-explosions likes this
- jryanm likes this
- rawrxsawaa likes this
- hncook likes this
- fatum-fortuna reblogged this from iheartchaos
- lostdoughnut likes this
- awkwardfoal likes this
- freakthink likes this
- actofrandomkindness likes this
- ivegotagoldenticket likes this
- vikingbitch reblogged this from iheartchaos
- hexagonalhexagonal likes this
- azmoe likes this
- pearlsinthesun reblogged this from wuppie
- pearlsinthesun likes this
- wuppie reblogged this from iheartchaos
- nopenothingtoseehere likes this
- 1mist1 likes this
- burlesque-mess reblogged this from iheartchaos
- panicsorbet likes this
- chekhovsboomerang reblogged this from iheartchaos and added:
- chekhovsboomerang likes this
- empiresofeternalvoid likes this
- d34d1n51d3 reblogged this from iheartchaos
- alloanday likes this
- thorsgoddess reblogged this from iheartchaos
- Keggeroo submitted this to iheartchaos