Yasser Lopez, 16, is recovering after he was accidentally hit with a spear gun by a friend during a Florida fishing trip this month. The spear entered the teenager’s skull above his right eye and went clear through his head, poking out the back. Wow.
Medics said he was awake as he arrived at hospital, and became “agitated”.
After sedating the teenager, part of the stainless steel spear had to be severed with a mechanical cutter so he could fit into the CT scanner.
Doctors said the teenager has no memory of the freak accident.
He was shot with the projectile as he swam in a lake near his Miami area home on 8 June when his friend set off the trigger of a spear gun he was loading.
While medics are not sure of the extent of the damage to his memory and other parts of the brain, they say his condition could have been much worse.
“It’s a miracle the spear missed all the main blood vessels of the brain,” neurosurgeon Ross Bullock told reporters.
Also helpful, doctors say, was the foreign object’s trajectory into the right side of the brain, Mr Lopez’s non-dominant lobe, missing the parts responsible for speech and other important functions.
- ninjadentist reblogged this from iheartchaos
- bigmafoota likes this
- colorvomitworld reblogged this from iheartchaos
- digitaldelights reblogged this from iheartchaos
- hncook likes this
- freakthink likes this
- iwasslicingupanavocado likes this
- efflectum-uk-model likes this
- the-zombie-diaries likes this
- spiffy-and-mindless likes this
- hello-ai reblogged this from iheartchaos
- dingobites reblogged this from iheartchaos
- dingobites likes this
- starryyymilk likes this
- stank-face reblogged this from iheartchaos
- thisgetsthepeoplegoing reblogged this from iheartchaos
- omgnancywtf reblogged this from iheartchaos
- chaosbringer05 submitted this to iheartchaos