Wicked awesome science art: The ferrofluid skull
For his two new dynamic sculptures, Brighetti worked closely with a chemist to create the perfect solution of liquid alchemy. This ferrofluid, as it’s called, is a stable mixture of magnetic iron nanoparticles surrounded by an ionic surfactant dissolved in oil. The result is a magnetically charged oil that responds to powerful electromagnets while still retaining its liquid properties.
The ferrofluid is stimulated through the static skull or brain form, invisible to the viewer, to achieve an alien sense of self-propulsion.
- japonfan likes this
- themermaidgarden likes this
- saraahlynne reblogged this from iheartchaos and added:
- strangewine reblogged this from iheartchaos and added:
- strangewine likes this
- grumpsters likes this
- tennis-stars likes this
- andrewstanford reblogged this from iheartchaos
- adignorantium likes this
- iwasslicingupanavocado likes this
- little-song likes this
- iheartchaos posted this