Safety moms to the rescue! Someone right now could be using naughty language with your little snowflake on Xbox Live and they are in no way also using these bad words. No ma’am, your 12 year old son is definitely not calling someone a fucking faggot on Call of Duty. He would never do such things.
Imagine exposing your child to racial slurs and X-rated content on a daily basis without realizing it. Experts warn that’s exactly what could be happening if you let your child play an online video game through Xbox, PlayStation or on the computer.
“Incredible levels of profanity, racial epithets, homosexually-oriented epithets. We’re talking 8-, 9-, 10-, 11-year-old kids who are getting exposed to this regularly,” said Roberts.
Internet safety expert Parry Aftab says this inappropriate language in online gaming is rampant, and she’s concerned it’s leading to dangerous cyber bullying.
“They may trash talk. They may be calling you names. They may steal their passwords. Or a lot of them may gang up on one online, not because it’s a good strategic win, but to hurt the other person,” said Aftab.
But parental involvement is still key. Ask your child to unplug the headphones and turn up the speakers so you can hear exactly what’s being said.
“Don’t let your kid go upstairs and close his bedroom door, and sit there and play all night,” said Kinney. “That’s crazy. You have no idea what’s going on, who’s saying what.”
Because kids were never, ever mean to each other or used bad language before video games. No, not at all.
- immerseme reblogged this from iheartchaos
- immerseme likes this
- murderermarv reblogged this from iheartchaos
- kyoferost reblogged this from twiii and added:
- twiii reblogged this from iheartchaos
- arkimpinesoradamk likes this
- readlovesmoke likes this
- tropicanos likes this
- freakthink likes this
- captainrobocop likes this
- evolutionaryprogressionisfailing likes this
- huricanehaley reblogged this from lostdoughnut
- freddashdog likes this
- destination--nowhere-near likes this
- pixandwords likes this
- toinfinityandbeyondlovers likes this
- spenceristhatbitch reblogged this from iheartchaos and added:
- guthwineandcheese reblogged this from iheartchaos
- murderousreprisal reblogged this from iheartchaos and added:
- zant likes this
- jgrassound reblogged this from iheartchaos
- iwasslicingupanavocado likes this
- lostdoughnut reblogged this from iheartchaos and added:
- gautamramdurai likes this
- c4t-buttz reblogged this from iheartchaos
- yourcanadianoverlord reblogged this from iheartchaos
- arkimpinesoradamk submitted this to iheartchaos