This Wednesday, January 18, IHC will be joining a number of other sites in a content blackout to protest the Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA) that is currently… slowly… making its way through the US Congress.
Well, kind of. There will be no content from the rest of the internet, but on Wednesday, I welcome all your Ask IHC questions, maybe pictures of your dogs and pictures of your cleavage. As long as it’s all 100% SOPA compliant. Will the day suck? Probably. But it’s to prove a point— that SOPA, if passed, even if it has little chance of passing and being signed into law, would fundamentally break the internet and change how the internet works, censoring not just people who pirate movies and video games, but the entire free spirit of the internet in favor of censorship and heavy-handedness.
In terms of traffic, IHC is barely a blip on the radar compared to sites like Reddit and Wikipedia, but it’s strength in numbers and the solidarity that counts.
In the meantime, here’s a good article on why SOPA is such a big deal.
Update: Due to political pressure, SOPA has been shelved indefinitely, but the Protect IP Act (PIPA) is still alive and the blackout is still on.
- ladyravendor reblogged this from rhythmryder
- rhythmryder reblogged this from iheartchaos
- zenandartof-tum-blrmaint likes this
- devilslettuce- likes this
- loljozee reblogged this from iheartchaos
- scstech likes this
- cee7ow likes this
- jillion reblogged this from iheartchaos
- ambydsolis reblogged this from iheartchaos
- ambydsolis likes this
- viledeedspoisonweeds likes this
- blindchild reblogged this from iheartchaos
- blindchild likes this
- cityblue30 reblogged this from iheartchaos
- cityblue30 likes this
- swan--song reblogged this from iheartchaos
- iheartchaos posted this