White House to use foreign aid to promote gay rights, Hillary Clinton gives historic speech on America’s commitment to gay rights around the globe
In an historic speech today, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton vowed that the United States stands behind gay rights around the globe and will use the lever of foreign aid to promote the civil rights of those who are gay and transgendered around the globe.
Watch the speech in the video below:
The Associated Press reports that, in a new executive memorandum, President Obama directed the State Department, the U.S. Agency for International Development and other U.S. agencies working abroad to use foreign aid to assist homosexuals who are facing human rights violations. The initiative also includes measures to combat attempts by foreign governments to make homosexuality a crime.
According to a 2010 study by the International Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Trans and Intersex Association, more than 70 nations prosecute people on the grounds of their sexual orientation, seven of which list the death penalty as a possible punishment for same-sex acts.
“The struggle to end discrimination against lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender persons is a global challenge, and one that is central to the United States’ commitment to promoting human rights,” Obama said in a statement.
The AP with more: “The order also directs U.S. government agencies to use foreign assistance to protect human rights and advance non-discrimination, and work with international organizations to fight discrimination against gays and lesbians.”
While the Obama administration has stopped short of coming out in support of gay marriage across the US, perhaps this is is something to expect if Obama is re-elected. America has always talked about defending freedom around the world and this is putting our money where our mouth is. If at this point, anyone is trying to argue against gay marriage, you’re now definitively on the wrong side of history and you should just get over it.
Like Michele Bachmann. At a book signing recently, she was approached by a little boy named Elijah. You might need to turn on captions, because Elijah’s speaking really quietly, but he approaches Bachmann to say “My mommy is gay and she doesn’t need fixing.” To which Bachmann responds with “Buh-bye.”
- zecaptaintuna likes this
- willowfish reblogged this from iheartchaos
- sammieisawesome reblogged this from iheartchaos
- goldfishdaydreams reblogged this from iheartchaos
- westonchambers reblogged this from iheartchaos
- punchdrunkelvis reblogged this from iheartchaos
- ummthisismyurl likes this
- theodorepython reblogged this from iheartchaos
- tappinthatass likes this
- openandshuttered reblogged this from iheartchaos
- openandshuttered likes this
- portraitofablckbrd reblogged this from iheartchaos
- riot-in-the-streets reblogged this from iheartchaos
- bustin-makesmefeelgood reblogged this from iheartchaos
- gamnrd reblogged this from iheartchaos
- notagood likes this
- drunkswede reblogged this from iheartchaos and added:
- ilovejeopardy likes this
- freakthink likes this
- curtpnw likes this
- timeofyoursong likes this
- iamanart likes this
- thisfruitisnotamelon likes this
- chibibuizel reblogged this from iheartchaos and added:
- helloitsimi likes this
- benigoat likes this
- my-hell-comes-from-the-inside likes this
- iheartchaos posted this